Sunday, May 22, 2016

Photograph by Susan Louise Davis

Peace


Last night a friend asked me for a favor and I said I would think about it.  After a few hours, I called him back and said, “No, I can’t do it.”  He asked why and I explained that it made me uncomfortable and when I went to explain why I was uncomfortable he cut me off in mid-sentence.  How rude!

I woke up in the morning feeling wonderful!  The pollen had decided to stop torturing me so I wasn’t congested.  For the first time in a couple of weeks I had use of both of my nostrils!  Finally, I can breathe!

Anyway, I grabbed my phone (I know I need to stop that) only to find that I received a 10-page text message from a “friend” who was disappointed because I would not do what he wanted me to do.  “You’re supposed to be my friend… If you had asked me, I would have said yes.” 

I repent for enough things that I do on my own, I cannot repent for things that I agree to do that I know are absolutely wrong.  Besides, I have to reserve “knee time” for real situations.

Aside from the fact that I’ve never asked him for anything, that emotionally driven and grammatically tortured text message upset me terribly!  I almost responded but in trying to be a better me I took a deep breath and closed my eyes and thought of God’s grace and mercy.

I thank God for reminding me of John 14:27 which says that he left us with a gift:  peace of mind and heart.  And the peace that he gives to me is a gift the world cannot give and I felt assured in my “no” and not troubled or afraid of losing a friend.

How does this piece fit into your life?  Do not allow people (friends or family) to guilt you into violating your peace.  Peace is a gift from God.  If I make a conscious decision to violate that peace then I can only blame myself for the outcome. 


Those who love you and will get over it – whether they understand your reasoning behind saying no or not.  It may take them time, but in the meantime... enjoy your peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment